Saturday, July 18, 2015

The Real Thing


You ever had something that's sugar-free? Or maybe even that no-calorie "natural" sweetener? Although people say they can't tell the difference, as soon as I bite into my favorite altered treat, I can always tell that something isn't quite right. 

The past few months have taught me that being kind to others is a lot like the difference between artificial sweeteners and sugar itself. Encouragement isn't something you plan. Being "nice" isn't a set time where everyone tells the person what they meant to them, but actions of genuine love are spontaneous events where we let a person know they're appreciated. That's why the author of Hebrews says, "Encourage each other every day while you have the opportunity." (Hebrews 3:13 GNT) 

And yet, it's still been hard for me. Today I realized that oftentimes my difficulty in praising and loving others has been driven by fear. I've decided that being kind to those around me gives them the power to hurt me and I must protect "me" at all costs. I'm not the only one. My social media is riddled with posts of hurting people giving up on love, taking care of themselves before everyone else, and not caring about anyone around them.

So what's the solution? 1 John 4:18 has some pretty interesting things to say, "There is no fear where love exists. Rather, perfect love banishes fear..." (1 John 4:18)  

The only way to truly face my fear head-on is to continue to love others more and more.*
(*By love I don't mean that wishy-washy stuff the world sells us about finding "the one". I mean the love  that allows us to forgive friends even when they don't deserve it, love that helps us be kind even when people aren't kind back, you're smart, you get the picture...) 

So today, if you're like me, let's stop living in the fear of the world around us, and instead love with all our hearts. Yes, being a "real sweetener" may take more hard work than a sugar substitute, we may even get rejected for being "too sweet" by those used to the artificial stuff, but authentic tops counterfeit any day. Let's be the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hot Topics

God (2) college (2) grades (1) teaching (1)